Saturday, September 19, 2015

Accidents due to pothole

The reason which made me write this post is a news which I saw today. "A young techie, Stuthi Pandey, lost her life when her husband rode the bike into a large unavoidable pothole on the road." My sincere condolences to her family.

Around two months back, it was a beautiful Saturday. I and my friends had planned to meet in favorite adda Jaynagar. Day started good. Walk, Chit chat, Lunch, Shopping; It was all fun. Finally it was time to depart in the evening. I and my friend left from there. I was riding the bike. Everything was going so well until my bike reached Dairy circle road. I was riding at around 30 - 40km/hr speed, I couldn't notice a deadly pothole that was right ahead of ME as a car was around 30 feet ahead of us.. It appeared as a surprise and I momentarily blanked out (I know, it's not an ideal time to blank out. But unfortunately, I did). All I did is apply break to reduce speed but as pothole was very near ", I" lost control of my bike and we skid and were lying on road within seconds of me seeing the pothole. I don't know whether to call it luck or FATE, there was very less traffic that day in dairy circle road and the auto driver behind us responded very quickly and stopped. We were left with minor injuries. We escaped somehow. Thanks to fate which saved us.

Three things came to my mind the moment I fell and my head hit the road. FIRST: Some vehicle from behind will run over; SECOND : Whether my friend is safe ;THIRD (And maybe an important one): My dad's words "Don't go in bike, Go in car;Bike isn't safe". 

Even now I get flashes of the incident and how narrow escape it turned out to be. It is really scary. What if some vehicle came and ran over? What if only my friend was injured(even if something happens to self, it's fine, but if we become reason of somebody's sadness, that's the deadliest feeling which haunts lifetime)? What if some internal injuries had happened ? All these keep haunting and they are possibilities and thousands are victim to such tragedies. 

Doctor who did first aid asked me, do you want to file a case. I asked him whom to blame ? Who is accountable for such incidents ? 

Is there a meaning to pay road tax and other fines which traffic police enforce when government is not providing safe roads ? There has to be someone accountable for such accidents. 

Dear Leaders/Government, You and your families are provided safe transport but what about a common man ? Put yourself or your dear ones in the place of victim and imagine how it affects a common man's life. 

Riding bikes are unsafe, Driving car is headache due to traffic, Going by public transport- thefts and etc.

Over 11,000 people killed by potholes, speed breakers last year . Wake up government.

2 comments:

  1. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete